Specifically, the agencies are requesting information from the American research and development (R&D) community working within quantum information science (QIS) to inform the Subcommittee as the government develops the means to address specific policy recommendations in response to the passage of the National Quantum Initiative Act . The Act, which was signed into law last December, establishes a coordinated multiagency program to support research and training in quantum information science.
Responders are asked to answer one or more of the following eight questions:
- What specific actions could the U.S. Government take that would contribute best to implementing the policy recommendations in the Strategic Overview? What challenges, not listed in section 3, should also be taken into account in implementation of the Strategic Overview recommendations?
- What are the scientific and technological challenges that, with substantial resources and focus over the next ten years, will transform the QIS research and development landscape?
- Regarding industrial engagement, what roles can the U.S. Government play in enabling the innovation ecosystem around QIS-related technologies? Are there critical barriers for industrial innovation in this space? How can these barriers be addressed? What role can the U.S. Government play in mitigating early or premature investment risks?
- How can the U.S. Government engage with academia and other workforce development programs and stakeholders to appropriately train and maintain researchers in QIS while expanding the size and scope of the `quantum-smart' workforce?
- What existing infrastructure should be leveraged, and what new infrastructure could be considered, to foster future breakthroughs in QIS research and development?
- What other activities/partnerships could the U.S. Government use to engage with stakeholders to ensure America's prosperity and economic growth through QIS research and development?
- How can the United States continue to attract and retain the best domestic and international talent and expertise in QIS?
- How can the United States ensure that U.S. researchers in QIS have access to cutting-edge international technologies, research facilities, and knowledge?