The Wirelessly Powered Sensor Evaluation Kit, which features Atmosic’s ATM3 energy harvesting Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) SoC solution and Energous’ FCC-certified 1W WattUp PowerBridge transmitter. The kit, say the companies, highlights the unique capabilities of wireless power through an out-of-the-box battery-free sensor solution and provides IoT device developers with the ability to explore how wireless power transfer can support devices such as sensors and tags, ultimately enabling IoT deployments that are not reliant upon replaceable batteries or power cables but are instead powered wirelessly over-the-air.
“Without reliable power, IoT devices in any application are significantly limited in their capabilities and value, and the billions of replaceable batteries and charging wires powering most of today’s internet-connected devices fail to meet their growing power requirements,” says Cesar Johnston, CEO of Energous. “Along with Atmosic, we’re thrilled to announce the availability of our evaluation kit, which gives IoT device developers a low-cost solution to reduce device dependency on unreliable power sources and reliably power billions of IoT devices wirelessly.”
The kit is designed to help alleviate many of the most pressing challenges with the large-scale wireless IoT sensor deployments by removing the need for batteries or power cables and the long-term maintenance overhead required to maintain them in busy commercial, retail, and industrial environments. The kit features two Bluetooth LE radio frequency (RF) harvesting sensor modules that transmit real-time temperature, humidity, and acceleration readings to the Energous WattUp Application while operating from energy harvested from the WattUp transmitter, making this solution ideal for applications including retail operations and industrial IoT.
Srinivas Pattamatta, VP Marketing and Business Development of Atmosic Technologies adds, “Advanced IoT deployments are too often stunted due to concerns around implementation costs and battery maintenance, two challenges that now have a clear solution and are addressed through our evaluation kit with Energous. Energous’ FCC-certified 1W transmitter combined with our BLE power harvesting capabilities now make over-the-air wireless power transfer possible for many IoT applications, such as electronic shelf labels, access control or IoT sensor beacons.”
The Wirelessly Powered Sensor Evaluation Kit includes one (1) Energous 1W WattUp transmitter, two (2) Atmosic energy harvesting sensor modules, and a mobile application for sensor monitoring and transmitter control.
Key advantages are offered as:
- The kit’s sensors are designed around the Atmosic ATM3202 Extreme Low Power Bluetooth LE SoC with Integrated RF Energy Harvesting
- Sensors provide Temperature, Humidity, and Acceleration information to a mobile application via Bluetooth LE. Sensor design information can be provided to support customization and integration of other sensor types
- Integrated multistage RF harvesting rectifier with MPPT (maximum power point tracking) algorithm maximizes harvesting performance over the input range
- Sensor consumes approximately one quarter the power consumption of a typical Bluetooth LE beacon increasing the amount of functionality (sensor reads and reporting interval) for a given amount of power vs. other solutions
- Energy harvesting BLE module with integrated flash supports rapid customer development and device integration in a small form factor
The Wirelessly Powered Sensor Evaluation Kit is priced at $500. Kits will begin shipping later in July.