IoT devices equipped with the CXM1501GR communication module will be able to connect to the ELTRES IoT Network Service, which is scheduled to begin service rollout this coming autumn from Sony Network Communications Inc. Offering robust long-distance communication at ranges of over 100 km (~60 miles), high-speed mobility communication, and low power consumption, the network is designed to enable information acquired by various sensors to be efficiently collected over a wide area and also enable new use cases.
The CXM1501GR is targeted at a broad range of IoT devices, says the company, and is aimed at developing various services making the most of stable wireless communications over long distances while moving at high speeds, thereby creating a new market. The module integrates a newly developed transmitter large-scale integration (LSI) technology that transmits signals conforming to the protocol of the ELTRES wireless communication standard in the 920-MHz band as well as a circuit for impedance matching with an externally mounted antenna.
Also included are a GNSS receiver LSI, which obtains time and position information, and high-frequency components such as the SAW filter required for the receiver. The module’s main features are listed as the following:
- Built-in Π/2-shift BPSK modulation (biphasic deviation modulation) LSI that operates on low power and produces a favorable signal/noise ratio in narrow-bandwidth communication.
- Built-in impedance-matching circuit for 920-MHz external antenna allows for direct connection to a general-purpose antenna and enables custom antenna to be designed easily.
- Built-in high-sensitivity, low-power GNSS LSI for compatibility with GPS, GLONASS, and QZSS.
- Built-in high-frequency circuit optimized for GNSS reception enabling direct connection to antennas.
- Has obtained certification for wireless communication equipment construction and design in compliance with the Radio Act of Japan(Certification number: 007-AG0043); No further certification required when the listed antenna are used.
- Has obtained module type-certification from the Japan Approvals Institute for Telecommunications Equipment as compliant to Japan’s Telecommunications Business Act.
The CXM1501GR is packaged in a 16 x 16 x 2.0-mm 65-pin LGA and operates from 2.0 V. Sample availablity is expected in June with pricing of 5,000 JPY.