Next-gen embedded database for mobile, IoT
The Zen V15 embedded database is designed to address the demanding needs of today’s on-premise, cloud, mobile, and IoT application developers by providing persistent local and distributed data across intelligent applications deployed in enterprise, branch, and remote field environments. The Zen V15 database, says the company, delivers breakthrough levels of performance and has been certified to work with the Intel OpenNESS and Smart Edge MEC platforms.
“Edge applications and devices increasingly rely on unsupervised machine learning inference at the edge to improve automation and real-time decision-making,” says Lewis Carr, Senior Director of Product Marketing at Actian. “Actian Zen V15 edge data management delivers against a broad and demanding set of requirements including leveraging a variety of hardware architectures, operating environments, networks, communications interfaces, and languages to offer comprehensive support, performance, and the flexibility modern enterprises need to stay competitive.”
The third generation of the company’s Zen database family, Zen V15 software connects mobile and IoT devices to gateways, the cloud, and traditional on-premise databases. The offering is a cloud-ready edge database that embraces the cloud ecosystem, harnessing the power of advanced architecture to eliminate extract, transform, and load (ETL) and latency, while also reducing security risks associated with decryption and vulnerable or exposed code.
In addition, says the company, its Zen V15 database delivers breakthrough modularity and performance on IoT and mobile devices, gateways, laptops, desktops, servers, and cloud platforms, redefining modern edge computing and maintaining backward compatibility for remote and branch office environments. Users can use the Zen database to leverage the power of 5G wireless broadband for fast and secure data processing at the edge and in the cloud.
“The flexibility to run the same database with local AES 256-bit encryption and underlying file formats at the device, gateway, edge server, and cloud environments provides a way to avoid decrypting until actual operations are performed at the point of action without transformations or added security vulnerabilities,” says Desmond Tan, Senior Director of Engineering and Product Management for the Zen database product line at Actian. “We’ve run performance tests for large data writes and reads, a core application scenario between devices at the edge and the network infrastructure against SQLite and MySQL, and found that we have higher performance for each individually – as well as together.”
Other key benefits and features of the Actian Zen V15 database family include:
- Third generation multi-platform mobile and IoT device support, zero-DBA, zero-ETL architecture solution for multiple modes including time-series, transactional, and document-centric.
- Integrates with a broad spectrum of programming languages including C++, Java, and Python.
- Offers ANSI-compliant SQL and common NoSQL APIs for a single database across a wide range of data types, deployment targets, and projects to reduce risk and streamline operations.
- Runs in Docker containers with Kubernetes orchestration, Helm chart configuration for deployment, and supports multi-access edge computing.
- Auditing and replication functionality via SQL can be performed in database at the edge.
- Delivers up to a 90% increase in overall SQL query performance, zero penalty data updates, no change configuration, and extensive support for legacy file formats.
- New time-series functionality for real-time, automatic collection, auditing, and delivery of data by mobile and IoT devices.
Edge data management that locally supports persistent data as well as device to device, device to gateway, and device to the cloud, says the company, is essential to meeting latency, security, and sovereignty requirements for 5G and MEC environments. The company’s Zen offering is a database partner for various edge applications optimized for Intel Smart Edge Open to build and provision innovative edge services.
All members of the Actian Zen V15 edge data management product line are now generally available and are free to developers for use in non-production environments and in time-limited trials for production use. Perpetual and subscription licensing options are also available.